Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Pinterest Success - DIY Beauty Brush Organizer

Pinterest Success -DIY Beauty Brush Organizer

We've all seen the Pinterest fails – that although are funny- are really not that surprising, at least to me. However the shock factor actually hit me when I was able to pull off a Pinterest Success with the pin above! As with most pins it seemed pretty simple until I started…  if you want to pull off this DIY beauty brush organizer here’s a few tips on what to do before you  get started and a heads up on what you may run into along the way.
  • Easy: Find a mason jar and giant flower or accessory to compliment your color choices.
    • I got both of these from Michaels. You can find them at any craft store or even WalMart.
  • Easy: Spray paint said mason jar and cut down faux flower to fit into vase

Here’s where it becomes more of a challenge…

  • Hard: Find plastic holder to support brushes, fit on your counter and display beads
    • Tip: Purchase a few and save your receipts. Trust me better to make two trips to the store instead of multiple ones to different locations and then find out you threw the last receipt out, blah blah blah. I FINALLY found the perfect plastic container at Target ( the third Target I went to) in the bathroom organizer section.
      • Other areas you might try: kitchen supplies, bed bath and beyond, desk organizers and as noted before- bathroom.
  • Hard: Find beads that look similar to the ones in the image and obtain the correct amount.
    • I found the very last bad of clear beads at Michaels for around $5.  The first plastic container was not shaped correctly to hold these, so I went back to find more beads, which them made me realize not many places carry the clear kind. So make sure you do some shopping before selecting, otherwise it will look more crafty than classic when you put everything together.
      • Tip: If you have a hard time with the clear beads, try coffee beans!
  • Very Hard: Spray painting your beauty brushes
    • If you’re like me and have multiple colored brushes and don’t want to purchase a new set just for this craft- then you too will be turning to spray paint. This was MUCH harder than I had anticipated for a few reasons:
      • 1.      Brushes roll when you spray them- duh I know
      • 2.      The brushes needed to be sanded down to hold the paint otherwise it chipped
      • 3.      I had to tape off the tops otherwise I would be spray painting the actual brush
        • Tip:My suggestion is to use painters tape over the brushes to keep the lines clean. Before using painters tape wrap the main bristles of the brush with cling wrap and then use painter’s tape to avoid pulling the bristles out when removing. 
        • Spray the first coat on and let the paint sit of a day and dry. The flip the brush and paint the other side. Continue until brush has color allover and looks even.


Now that I’ve mastered this ….I’m ready for the next beauty DIY! I’d love to hear what DIY project have you completed to make like more beautiful and maybe even try it myself J

No comments:

Post a Comment