Monday, April 23, 2012

Just the fact please, Hold the fillers.



Only $800. Cable, Water, Trash all included.” I read this on the website, was confirmed this via phone and then again in person when I came to tour. Knowing it was well above my price range ( I’m a struggling post college kid) but thinking I could stretch to make the $800, I agreed to sign the papers immediately before the price jumped any higher as they tend to do. I was already sacrificing having a washer and dryer as well as a microwave ( my main source of food seeing as I'm not  the cook) to have this place. I didn’t want to wait until this last “discounted unit” was gone. You can imagine how happy my leasing agent was when I came in already Sold. As I began putting ink on paper I noticed the price at the bottom was well over the $800. Next to the lines for cable, water and trash were separate fees.
 “What is this about?” I asked pointing to the separated dollar amounts.
“Oh,” the agent responded in a matter-of-factly tone, “ This is your included water, cable, etc.”. 
“How is it included if it is extra?” I laughed but was becoming a little annoyed. I already knew I wasn’t getting this bundled.
“It’s included because we offer it.” She explained, “So you pay your rent which is the $800. Then you pay the $50 for cable. Your water depends on use and the trash is a $10 fee. Then you are required to purchase $95 dollars of renters insurance to us as well. Your electric is separate though.”
I went from thinking I would struggle to make the $800 and wound up looking at paying the very least $955 not including electricity and whatever I used for my water. I’ve never been one for math but I can assume that with the addition of water and electric I was looking at paying  at least $1000 a month. How did I even get in the door there? I did my research, read the facts then checked them twice and even sacrificed some “non-essentials” that are actually fairly essential to me in order to be conned.  Strong word choice but when you’re in my little shoes ( I’m only a size five on a good day) it seemed appropriate. Fortunately, I picked up on this before my signatures went any further. I politely explained that I misunderstood and would not be able to commit at this time.
This incident made me somewhat wiser as I continued to home hunt. I then would ask when seeing the  word “included” if  these utilities were really included in the listed price already. Surprise! I feel as if it was safe to say that 9 out of 10 times they were not.
This long rant has a point. I found that in marketing it is easy to say things like “only this much” but in separate payments. Show huge signs with the word “FREE” and then in tiny print put with two other purchases. Sure it grabs attention but at the same time I feel that I am being misled. Am I paranoid? Maybe. Either way I think that this all relates to the type of business I hope to run one day. I don’t want to mislead clients. I don’t want to mislead their clients. It’s not worth getting them in the door if they are dying to leave and telling everyone not to come in. Even if I had signed on the dotted line that day without catching all the additional fees my trust would have been broken. I would not recommended the complex to others and my relationship with the agents would have been tainted.
I currently work in reviews. I know and have seen what a bad vs good review can do. We look to others, especially people we know to provide us with insight on their experiences with something we have never tried.  How would I review the apartment complex if I had been “tricked” into signing or year? Sure they had me in the door but how many potential clients would they loose after I blew the whistle? No one likes the thought of being intentionally mislead. Don’t even get me started on how I purchased my first car ha ha. I am still paying for that one! Which is also partially the reason an $800 apartment is a struggle. Fool me once shame on you, but it was not going to happen again. I feel like clients, customers, partners, people feel the same way. Just the facts please, no fillers.

No comments:

Post a Comment